At Dominion Trail, we use a comprehensive literacy approach to reading that supports students as they evolve into successful, lifelong learners. A comprehensive literacy approach provides students with various opportunities to participate in read-alouds, shared reading, interactive reading, guided reading and independent reading. In addition, students engage in modeled, shared, interactive, and independent writing.
On behalf of each student the following objectives are set:
· To develop basic skills that enable them to get meaning from print
· To think critically about what is read
· To use reading across the curriculum as a tool for learning
· To experience the rewards and pleasures of reading
· To become independent writers who write for a variety of purposes
We have two full-time reading specialists who work as resource teachers, diagnosticians of reading difficulties, and as consultants to provide support for the regular classroom teachers.